What is Microneedling
Microneedling is an in-office procedure that uses tiny needles to create micro-channels or injuries in the skin which stimulates the body’s natural wound healing process by producing collagen and elastin formation. These treatments helps improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, reduce acne scars, lighten hyperpigmentation, reduce pore appearance, smooth and firm skin texture, and soften stretch marks.
SkinPen by Bellus Medical is the first microneedling device cleared by the U.S. FDA, clinically proven to safely and effectively treat facial acne scars for ages 22 and up. With as few as three non-invasive and affordable treatments spaced 30 days apart, you can improve your skin’s appearance and step out with confidence. SkinPen works for all skin types, dark to light and can be done in about 30 minutes. SkinPen is minimally invasive, safe, and requires little downtime, in fact most patients are able to return to work the same or next day.
What to expect during and after your treatment?
Topical anesthetic is applied so most patients experience minimal discomfort during the treatment. Immediately afterwards the skin will appear slightly pink to red, similar to a sunburn. Many patients also experience some degree of dryness, rough skin, tightness, redness, itching, peeling, tenderness and in a few cases mild burning for 1-6 days after treatment. These symptoms are self-limiting and typically resolve over time without further complications.
Before your SkinPen Treatment
Avoid excessive sun exposure/burns 24 hours prior to procedure.
- Discontinue use of topical retinoids 24 hours prior to procedure.
- Should not be done if you have active breakouts/open lesions.
- Wait 24 hours after autoimmune therapy before SkinPen treatment.
- Wait 6 months following oral isotretinoin use.
During your SkinPen Treatment
- A topical anesthetic will be applied prior to the treatment which should alleviate most all discomfort during the procedure.
- A serum will be applied during the procedure to protect the skin that is being treated.
After your SkinPen Treatment
Use a gentle cleanser (no scrubs) & tepid water for first 72 hours after treatment.
- OK to use serum antioxidants & hyaluronic acid post treatment, avoid Alpha Hydroxy Acids, Beta Hydroxy Acids, Retinols (Vitamin A) & Vitamin C for 1 week
- Avoid applying makeup for 24-72 hours post treatment.
- Apply a broad spectrum sunscreen daily.
- Avoid sweaty exercise, swimming, & sun exposure for 72 hours after treatment.
- Avoid other facial aesthetic treatments for 1 month following SkinPen treatment.
- For acne scarring best to schedule 3 treatments spaced 30 days apart.